California in February

On February 10, 2012, I visited The Hilltop Winery and had the opportunity to watch my sister-in-law and niece run the Los Angeles Chinatown Firecracker Run.

They both did exceptionally well placing high in their age brackets.

After the race we visited Empress Pavilion, a dim sum house, and enjoyed some great food with great friends. Yes, that’s me eating chicken feet. They tell me it’s a delicacy. I don’t know about that, but never again! And I thought peer pressure was a thing of the past for me.

Well, the trip wouldn’t be complete without visiting the cellar and pulling a few bottles. On this trip we tasted the following at a private dinner party:

  • 1990 St. Francis, Cabernet Sauvignon, Sonoma County
  • 1991 Opus One, Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley
  • 1993 Von Strasser, Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley
  • 2004 Realm, The Tempest, Napa Valley
  • 2006 Alto Moncayo, Garnacha, Spain

What a night! Good food, great family and friends and some incredible wine!

For the slideshow of the events click HERE.